We were asked to do a thorough review of the University of Sussex’s Governance arrangements, covering both Council and Senate, and their interaction with the Executive.
- Interviews with all Board Members, key members of Senate, and University Senior Leadership.
- Observation of all key Boards and Committees.
- Desk review of Governing Instruments, and related policies and strategies.
- Benchmarking performance against sector peers.
The key outcomes of our review were accepted by Executive, Council and Senate, and involved:
- Clarifying the roles of Senate, Council and the Executive.
- Recommendations to enhance working between the three branches.
- A review of the Structure of Senate Committees to provide full Academic Assurance.
- Changes to governing instruments.
- Recommendations to enhance EDI and the student and staff voice.
“Halpin has done an exceptional job in delivering the Governance Effectiveness Review and it is to your credit that the Review has been endorsed both by Council and Senate. The University looks forward to working with Halpin to move the recommendations forward.”
Dr Tim Westlake, Chief Operating Officer
“We were very pleased by how well accepted the overall report was. This is a tribute to you and your team, and we very much appreciate the way that you have engaged with us throughout this process.”
Adrienne Fresko CBE, Vice Chair of Council